Monday, August 26, 2013

Living Vicariously Through

Living Vicariously Through
by The Girl With The Kaleidoscope

Her eyes pop open, she sighs contently, turns over and closes her eyes once again. "I miss you," she whispers out as she falls back into another dream.

When you miss someone long enough, you begin to dream about them.  Manifestations of the heart's desire. This particular dream is of her and her boyfriend on the beach. Want to see what her heart's desire is? let's take a look. Shh ... We wouldn't want to wake her.

The sea water washes over her feet, she wriggles her toes in the cool sand, her eyes are focused on the horizon and the soft light of the sun illuminates her beautiful features. The breeze from the ocean blows her head scarf, she lifts her face slightly and breathes in the fresh salty air. A chill runs down her spine, so she wraps her arms around her body in a feeble attempt to warm herself. She's not expecting anyone, so when a pair of strong arms wrap around her waist, pulling her in for a passionate embrace, she squeals and nearly elbows the intruder in the ribs.

She's frowning slightly. It's amazing how deceptive a facial expression can be. If I didn't know any better, I would think she was having a less than pleasant dream.

She's smiling again.

She's spun around and is faced with a huge mischievous grin, "hey" he says. 
She slaps him playfully on the shoulder, "you jerk! You gave me a fright!" 
He raises his eyebrow, "you gave me a fright?" He chuckles at her choice of words. 
She pouts at his teasing, "you're mean". 
He leans down and kisses her lovingly on the forehead, "you look cute when you pout."

This dream is beginning to hurt my teeth! The sweetness it's exhuming is nauseating! I love a good romantic just as much as the next person, but this dream is verging on Once Upon A Time, but without the cool bad guys and evil witches. ... But let's see where this goes, I'm an optimist, someone is gonna meet some kind of doom I'm sure.

It's dark now, they're at a barbeque with a bunch of friends, she's nowhere to be spotted. He's by the barbeque pit making up a few plates.
"Aaaaaah!", her laughter echoes in the moonlight. She's being chased by one of her girlfriends.
"I swear I'm gonna bury your head in the sand when I catch you!" Her girlfriend jokes, but the look in her eyes belies the tone in her voice. 
"IF you catch me, slow poke!"

From my very keen observations, turning over in your sleep while you are dreaming tends to change the dream, shifts it a little.

It's pitch black and the beach is deserted.

Now, we're getting somewhere! This is where the action begins!

Not a soul in sight, not even a sound, but for the soft whispers and playful chuckles. A spotlight suddenly shines down on the loving pair. They're in each other's embrace, rocking slowly to the rhythm of the sea waves. The contrast of the pitch blackness of the ocean, and the bright illumination of the spotlight gives an oddly romantic feel to the scene. It's quiet, serene and peaceful. He has so much love for her, he holds her tight and places feather like kisses on her cheek and forehead. She's in a dream, she's exactly where she belongs, and she's loving it.

Aw! Hell! Now, I feel like an ass for hoping something bad would happen. Bah!

She's waking up now. Guess it's time I make myself scarce. As I fade into the wallpaper, I watch the smile she woke up with slowly fade away. She looks around her room and realizes she is not in her dream. He's not going to be there with her, the distance of two countries keeping them apart. An unexpected whimper escapes her throat and she squeezes her eyes shut, a feeble attempt at going back to sleep, back to her dream. But she can't, as much as she would love to, she can't.

"Well, better go shower and head downstairs. Try to get some work done." She sighs.

I feel for her, I really do. But at least she gets to go to sleep and dream, that's more than what I can say for myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment